PROPOSAL FOR CADRE RESTRUCTURING IN POSTMASTER CADRE SUBMITTED TO DIRECTORATE TODAY BY THE CHQ, ALL INDIA ASSOCIATION FOR POSTMASTER CADRE..
The services at Post offices offered have grown in the traditional areas of sale of stamps, booking of Money orders and registered letters as also in Savings Bank functions, especially where Post Offices disburse NREGA wages to beneficiaries. In many post offices these activities are carried out electronically, new services like e-payment, e-post etc is also offered. Further the Department has also entered into agreements with private players like Western Union for money transfers. In the area of mail, both express, parcel and traditional, the Department of Posts faces tremendous competition. It has to offer excellent services by way of continuous upgrades in quality and in the add on value of its mail products, like 100, national billing, same day delivery of corporate mail etc “to improve/upgrade the functioning of the Post Offices, meet the present day requirement of specialization in Postal office management in the wake of introduction of technology, challenges from market and to increase productivity that it has absolutely become essential and to ensure that key Post Offices are headed by professional managers.”
Thus, Department of Posts had created Post Master cadre three years back by carving out 33% of LSG, HSG-II and HSG-I posts as Gr.I, Gr.II and Gr.III respectively. We hope that the very purpose of creating this cadre is fulfilled from our side with constant efforts. The Department has been benefited by creating this cadre because almost all Gr.I/II Post offices are working efficiently in India when compared to previous period in MNOP and CBS projects. In future also, Department has to depend on this cadre to implement various project under India Post, 2012 several other ensuing innovative projects in future.
All Post offices identified under Post Master Cadre are Head Post Offices, Mukhya Dak Ghars, Offices identified for Core Banking Solution (CBS), major delivery Offices and Offices located in prime locations serving as face of India Post. But there is no departmentally approved powers,rights and identity.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Post Master in independent post offices:-
Operative units are the face of the Post Offices. Our Business depends upon the operative functions. But this is crystal clear that the vital side is ignored and least importance is given from years together. The in charge of an operative units is not seen in a way of prestige as in case of an section /divisional incharge and the highest responsibility takers are very less.
Post Master made involved in each and every work of a post office. From Postal Manual Volume-I to Volume-VI and PO Guide part-I to Part-II and POSB Manual Vol.I and Vol.II, and the circulars issued from time to time by the department at whtsoever working environment of his unit .
The Postmasters are pulled in all and every irregularity directly performed by their subordinate in the name of implied duties.
The detailed list of the duties and responsibilities of a Postmaster is as under :
A. Daily List of Daily Duties of a Postmaster
3. Ensure punctual attendance of staff
Submitted in the interest of Postmaster cadre by
Cadre restructuring in Post Master Cadre
CREATION OF POSTMASTER CADRE – AN IDEA TO BRING BACK THE GLORY OF INDIAPOST :
The detailed list of the duties and responsibilities of a Postmaster is as under :
1. Opening of office
2. Supervising Cleaning and mopping of office
4. Maintenance of Attendance register
5. Allocation of duties to staff for the day
6. Attending Table Sorting of Mails received for delivery
7. Identification of Unpaid and Insufficiently Paid articles
8. Maintenance of Unpaid Register
9. Authorisation of Mos and Emos for delivery
10. Authorisation for Treasurer for payment to Postman
11. Check Registered / Speed Post articles received
12. Ensure Postman to Proceed on for delivery in time
13. Check Letters and Circulars received
14. Circulate circulars for Staff
15. Attend Phone Calls
16. Check emails
17. Check CCC complaints
18. Check ePost messages received for delivery
19. Check Articles booked at counter in random
20. Prepare cheques for Wdls above 20000/-.
21. Attend supervisory work for SB transactions
22. Check Sanchay Post Pending forms for sanction.
23. Check cash excess or shortage with treasurer
24. Order Drawal of Cheques from bank / Cash
25. Order Remittance of Cash to Bank / Cash Office.
26. Attend Public enquires and complaints at office
27. Check filing of work papers of the previsous day
28. Ensure Punctual Clearance of Letter boxes
29. Supervise sorting of outward ordinary mails
30. Check Postman Return within dispatch schedule
31. Check Articles returned by postman
32. Check Redirection / Refused / left articles for dispatch
33. Check Payment vouchers of eMos and Mos
34. Ensure Articles returned are dispatched on the same day
35. Check of Standard Remarks by Postman
36. Check all articles booked are dispatched on the same day.
37. Check articles in deposit with the Abstract
38. Collect Articles in deposit for safe custody
39. Ensure undelivered insured articles with treasurer
40. Check VP articles in deposit with VP Register
41. Check Consolidation of VP / MO
42. Check Registered / Speed / Parcel Abstract and sign
43. Check POS account verification for all staff
44. Authorize eMos booked
45. Check submit accounts for Postman / window
46. Check and sign Schedules printed in POS / Postman
47. Check TCB with the physical balance of cash and stamps
48. Check for incorporation of accounts in Daily account
49. Invoicing Documents and requests in daily account
50. Generating and Printing of Daily Account
51. Cross check Documents with Daily account
52. Preparation of Account Bag for dispatch
53. Closing of Office.
B. Additional Duties of a Postmaster of Post offices with Bos
54. Ensure Articles for Bos are sorted
55. Ensure accountable items are invoiced in Bo slip
56. Ensure Instructions and circulars are sent to Bo
57. Ensure cash request and cash remittance to BO
58. Ensure supply of forms and stationery to Bo
59. Ensure closing of BO bag in time for conveyance
60. Opening of BO bags
61. Check remittances sent is acknowledged
62. Check remittances received at office with TCB
63. Check BO daily account items with vouchers
64. Check for same day delivery of mails at BO
65. Check for articles in deposit with reasons
66. Check Mos in Deposit with reason
67. Check for request for cash and stamps.
68. Check accounts and closing balances of Bos
69. Check for accounting of unpaid articles at Bos
70. Order and Sign BO daily account.
71. Check and sign the BO summary posted .
72. Transfer of Items and Vouchers to respective branches
73. Check for incorporation of BO accounts in SO
74. Check for any irregularities , Ommission in BO
75. Reporting of any such to the Concerned authority.
C. Daily Duties relating to Softwares at Office
76. Switch on Server and ensure Client Systems are on
77. Authorise Day Begin, Shift begin packages in sequence
78. Activate or Inactivate users accordingly
79. Change Names of Postman if any for the day
80. Allocate work for the day in each software
81. Check Consolidated reports in POS at regular intervals
82. Order Cash tranfer to Treasurer from Pos / SB counter
83. Submit Postman Cash to Treasurer
84. Tranfer VP Particulars for POS for booking
85. Authorise SB transactions at Sanchay Post
86. Submission of accounts for Postman
87. Verification of transactions for POS
88. Verification of SB transactions at SB Cash
89. Day end / Shift end of Softwares in Sequence
D. Occational Duties of Postmaster in maintenance of
systems and equipments at office
90. Check UPS and Batteries at office
91. Check Genset periodically for cleaning and servicing
92. Purchase of Diesel /Kerosene for gensets
93. check printers for refilling and gatridge changes
94. Ensure cleaning of all systems by AMC thro DO
95. Ensure Disk cleaning and defragmentation
96. Check Back-up
97. Ensure updation of software thro Sas
E. Daily Duties relating to Systems and softwares
98. Ensure that all communication packages work.
99. Updation of MIS
100. check emails and sites for updation
101. Reply to Complaints at CCC website
102. Transfer of sanchay post data
103. Transfer of DB analyser data.
104. Watch for Updation of antivirus and OS
105. Ensure upgradation of Drives and space in system
F. Standard Duties of Postmaster relating to office
Accounts / Assets and fittings
106. Maintain Stock book for all furnitures fittings
107. Maintain stock books for all display boards
108. Maintain stock / history sheets for all systems and devices
109. Maintain stock book for all sotware CDS
110. Maintain stock book for all stationery items
111. Maintain stock book for all SB related items
112. Maintain stock book for all Postal Stationeries
113. Maintain stock book for all unservicable items of the office
114. Maintain stock book for all condemned items
G. Duties relating to Preparation of Accounts and statements ( Monthly)
115. Preparation of SMR and submission to HO
116. Preparation of Annexure II statement for DO/RO/HO
117. Preparation of SO account month wise
118. Preparation and submission of Returns for Ist and II nd periods
119. Submission of Paid substitute bills for postman.
120. Preparation of Leave orders and APAR for Postman if any
H. Duties relating to the Head Post offices
121. Daily submission of ECB memos if any
122. Checking of SO Slip and documents there on
123. Payments relating to salary and mazdoor for staff
124. Payments relating to GPF and other advances
125. Preparation of Bills paid list for Hos
126. Settlement of OM from Hos and SBCO
127. Updation of erros in Sanchay Post softwares
128. Printing and forwarding of halfyearly balances for RD , MIS
I. Duties relating to Inspection Reports and Verification Reports
129. Compliance report for IR s and Vrs
130. Explanations and reporting for IR s and VR s
131. Facilitating for inspection records
132. Maintenance of Order book
133. Verification of memos received from Sub Divisions
134. Submission YVR and HYR
J. Duties relating to his own office
135. Preservation of records according to periods
136. Maintenance of MDW, DMSL , Duty chart , Book of information
137. Maintenance of Complaints and suggestion Book
138. Maintenance of CMAP
139. Drawal of cheques for Payments for accounts closed
140. Drawal of cash from bank
141. Maintenance of remittance register for cheques / cash to banks
142. Ensuring clearance of cheques presented to bank
143. Updation of date of clearance of cheques for ebills
144. Maintaining Office Order book
145. Daily check on closing stamp advance for office and staff
146. Ensuring cleaning of all seals and stamps of office
147. Check and signing Book of Postmarks on daily basis
148. Ensuring staff for relief on leave / Deputation / Training
149. Attending customer enquiries at office and clarification of doubts
150. Indenting for Forms and stationery
151. Indenting for stamps
152. Indenting for cash certificates
153. Indenting for Pass book and other registers
K. Duties as a Care taker of the Office Building and premises
154. Outside campus cleaned and garbage removed
155. Watering of plants/trees/lawn
156. Cutting of hedges and trimming of trees whenever required
157. All the campus lights and back lit boards in working order
158. Cleaning and mopping of office floors with disinfectant
159. Cleaning and mopping of counter area twice a day or more as per the
custome traffic and emptieng of waste paper baskets in public hall/office hall
160. Dusting of furniture/counters
161. Cleaning of window glass panes / counter glasses with water/spray
162. Cleaning of toilets after every two hours with phenyl/ disinfectant and
availability of water
163. Cleaning of wash basin and availability of naphthalene balls
164. Punctuality of staff
165. Availability of soap/liquid soap in toilet
166. Mopping of drinking water area every half an hour
167. Availability of sufficient cash at the counters
168. Fans / Tube lights/roof/walls to be cleaned at least once in a month
169. Free availability of forms used by the
170. customers at the identified place in public hall
171. Genset is in working order
172. Availability of sufficient diesel
173. UPS in working order – water level of batteries checked
174. Availability of sufficient office stationary
L. Duties relating to BD and Marketing
175. Ensure sale of Retail Post items for Business
176. Market all retail post items
177. Ensure placement of Advertisement Boards in and out of office
178. Ensure sufficient stock of Retail Post items by Proper indenting .
179. Attend meetings and melas
180. Provide Daily / Weekly / Monthly / quarterly / halfyearly / Annaul reports as
M. Duties relating to E based services
181. Market and book IMOs and Videsh Mos at office
182. Facilitate customer with refreshment for IMT transactions
183. Explain features of e products and service
N . Duties relating to PLI and RPLI
184. Procure PLI and RPLI business for the target alloted to the office
185. conduct melas and Drives for RPLI
186. Process policy proposals for submission to Sub Divisional Head
187. Account Proposals and Insured value procured at office and Bos
188. Issue Certificate of Credit for Premiums paid at the office
189. Process and send loan / closure / maturity of policies
190. Payment of Maturity / loan for policies at office marked by HO
191. Motivate Postman and GDS officials for procurement of RPLI policies
O . Duties relating to repairs to Software / systems and equipments
192. Log call with the AMC company for repair to systems and equipments
193. Inform DO / SA on software problems
194. Inform RO on problems referred to .
195. Record all problems relating to software / hardware and equipments
196. Ask for replacement of systems and equipments for repaired once
The above duties are not exhaustive. Besides discharging routine Post Master
duties, we are also discharging duties by way of sale of prasadams, sale of mutual fund products, MMTS, WUMTS, Money Gram services, Sale of Gold Coins, Collection of data for Consumer Price Index, Booking and dispatch of Intermediate, 10th class exams, NIOS exams, sale of Applications of various university exams, sale of applications to different entrance exams etc.,.etc…etc….
Present Promotional Avenue:-
Directorate had envisaged a separate promotional hierarchy for this cadre that after 6 years of continuous service in Gr.I PM cadre will get Gr.II PM, after completion of 5 years of service in Gr.II PM cadre will get promotion to Gr.III and after completion of 2 years of service in PM III cadre will get Senior Post Master promotion on seniority cum fitness basis.
- Post Master Gr.I posts : 2097
- Post Master Gr.II Posts : 511
- Post Master Gr.III Posts : 495
- Senior Post Master Posts : 29 (out of 116, only 25% given to PM
From the above calculation, we can come to a conclusion that out of 3103 Post Master cadre posts, only 29 Senior Post Master(Gazetted) was given. i.e. 0.93% only. This is disappointing to the officials working in the cadre and also frustrating them to continue in the cadre. Till 4th pay commission, LSG and Postal Inspector and HSG and ASP got same and identical scales. From 5th pay commission disparity showing that Inspector cadre officials are exam passed candidates and LSG is only a promotion on seniority cum fitness basis. Now these cadre officials are also selecting by Limited Departmental Competitive Exam which is conducting national wide and giving promotion upto Group-B level. Since many years, no promotional avenue is available in the Department for operative staff for getting Gr.B promotion except 6% GL quota in PSS Gr.B exam.
Therefore to make more efficiency by boosting the moral of the postmasters 100% post of Sr.Postmaster is to be given to Postmaster cadre officials as they are not given chance to appear for the Group B exams. When an operative units gives more than 100% output the work of inspection and related checking gradually reduces. Therefore, instead of cutting the weeds after grown, it is wise to stop the growth at the bottom level. Therefore, more Post offices should be identified for postmaster cadre with enhanced charm will reduce the burden of expense bill to the exchequer .
Proposed cadre restructuring:-
No cadre review is taken place since many years in operative side. Due to meager promotional opportunities, we are losing charming persons to attract to the Department. A PA will get retire as PA only in our Department without any promotions though we are offering LSG, HSG-II promotions at the fag end of their retirement stage. Hence, we are submitting following proposal for kind perusal and cause issue of suitable action favorably.
a) Grade Pay of Rs.4200/- should be granted to Grade-I Post Masters. Because they are the face of the department and holding higher responsibility for the span of long period in comparing with other general line officials and administrative officiers.
b) Grade Pay of Rs.4600/- should be granted to Grade-II Post Masters. This also can be supported that up to 4th Pay Commission HSG and ASP are having same and identical pay scales and they are also discharging sup-appointing authorities duties in addition to their normal duties.
c) All 116 Senior Post Master posts should be given to Post Master Cadre officials only and 75% of that posts may be filled up through LDCE among the Post Master cadre officials who have completed 5 years of service. Because, Directorate categorically stated that these cadre officials should continue in this hierarchy only not in general line. It is against the principles of natural justice to open these promotional channel to other cadre officials ie. IP/ASP cadre.
d) And, all Head Post Offices situated in District Head Quarters should be upgraded and identified as Senior Post Master with Grade Pay of Rs.4800/-.Due to these approximately 600 HOs will be identified as Gazetted Post Offices and these Senior Post Masters may be given to these cadre officials only and filled up by seniority cum fitness basis. For effective and better administration this will be very useful for the department in future to implement all kinds of projects under India Post, 2012 project. So that the Divisional Heads will also get relieve from flood of work and they can bitterly monitor remaining entire division, effectively. Further this will not hamper anybody’s promotional avenues.
Calculation for Para-4:- Already HSG-I or Grade-III Post Masters are working in the Head Post Offices. They are in Grade Pay of Rs.4600/- only. If we identify these posts as Senior Post Masters and grant Grade Pay of Rs.4800/-, it will hardly increase
1. Grade Pay : 200
2. Dearness Allowance : 180
3. HRA : 20 (10% of Basic Pay)
TOTAL : 400/-
Already we have 116 Senior Post Master posts at District Head Quarters only. Hence net effect will be applicable only to 484 posts only.
Hence, 484X400=1,93,600/- per month extra expenditure will be incurred only. This will comes an amount of 1,93,600x12= 23,23,200/- per year.(23 lakhs per year)
Due to this out of 3103 posts available to this cadre officials, 600 Senior post master cadre posts will be available and the ratio of their promotions chance will also become 20% from present 0.93%.
Conclusion: Since many years operative staff are deprived of legitimate promotions and kept operative staff in dormant condition. Whereas other administative cadre are managed to get benefits in their favour periodically by lobbing through their official channels and no one advocates for this highly reponsbility taking cadre in the India Post. In all previous five cadre reviews, operative staff lost their many promotions by way of TBOP and BCR financial up-gradations besides surrendering posts for matching savings. Now 6th cadre review is presently under consideration, Since we have received so many representations from Post Master Cadre officials and it reflects their aspirations towards organizational growth we hope positive response from the Department and give grand glory to Post Master Cadre to uphold true spirit of aspirations for creating this cadre.
All India Association of Postmaster Cadre
THIS ASSOCIATION REGISTER ITS APPRECIATION FOR THE CONTRIBUTION FROM SHRI.ANIL KUMAR, POSTMASTER GRADE I AP CIRCLE AND SHR.L.S. SURESH, POSTMASTER GRADE I TAMIL NADU CIRCLE